IECS Group Inc. specializes in Cable Concrete®, which is one of the most advanced engineering technologies available for soil erosion control today.
Cable Concrete® is an Articulating Concrete Block (ACB) system connected by cables allowing each individual block to be flexible and form to the terrain of the ground. This interconnected block system is available in four different thicknesses to provide the required stability for each project economically.
Cable Concrete® has gone through extensive testing by engineering departments at three different universities: The University of Windsor, Ontario; The University of Colorado; and The University of Minnesota.
- Riverbank Protection
- Culvert Inlet/Outlet Protection
- Channel Lining
- Pond Lining
- Pipeline Protection
- Lagoon Protection
- Low Water Crossings
- Dam Overflow/Intakes
- Access Roads
- Boat Ramps
- Large concrete mats delivered to the jobsite for fast and economical installation
- Made with air entrained concrete for durability and freeze-thaw fracture resistance
- Cables are looped on all mat edges to provide for mat-to-mat connection and optional anchoring
- There is up to 20-40% open area to provide water permeability and vegetation growth
- The pyramidal block shape allows for articulation, ranging from 20° to 60° – depending upon the block size chosen
- Complete engineering analysis, with flume testing, has been conducted by the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada, University of Colorado and the University of Minnesota. Cable Concrete® is manufactured to exact specifications, which exceed both federal, provincial MTO and state D.O.T. requirements
Download our available specifications for Cable Concrete:
Featured Cable Concrete Project
The Esseltine drain was in complete disrepair. 1 Kilometer of the drain needed to be reconstructed due to years of erosion issues. Homeowners along the drain were at risk of losing large portions of their land into the drain that led into Lake Erie. When looking at different erosion control products R.C. Spencer Associates chose to use IECS’ Groups CC-45 block over rip rap, a poured concrete channel or erosion control blankets. The stability and flexibility of the Cable Concrete system checked all the boxes to make this the product of choice.
Cable Concrete Benefits
- Cost-effective solution to severe or minor erosion needs
- Precast mats with preattached geotextile speed installation and quality of finished project
- Easily maintained when vegetated or rock filled
- Highly resistant to ice damage and freeze-thaw cycle
- Allows safe pedestrian access
- Flexible mats can conform to existing ground contours, minimizing site preparation
- Mats can be removed and reused on future sites
- Local precaster manufactures Cable Concrete® to exacting specifications, which exceed both federal, provincial MTO and state D.O.T. material requirements and assures a quality product
Cable Concrete Facts
The integrated cable in Cable Concrete® allows for easy interlocking of many mats to form a single strong unit to cover any area required. Clamping is recommended for high flow and steep slope applications.
This design is key in providing maximum effectiveness based on erosion control principles. In order to provide maximum effectiveness in erosion control, the protective device must keep a uniform pressure on the geotextile and subgrade material at all times.
Cable Concrete® can easily be cut to fit smaller areas, irregular shapes, and to allow room for drainage pipes, manholes, etc.
Due to the large percentage of open area within the Cable Concrete® system, vegetation regrowth can easily occur. For best results, soil should be backfilled and seeded.
A key feature of this product is that the integrated cable allows for extra stability through the use of earth anchors and/or tow-in options.
The integrated cable allows external forces to be distributed throughout the mat system. Vehicle crossings over creek and river beds are easily constructed with Cable Concrete®. Maintenance vehicles can easily maneuver over this steady surface.
Cable Concrete® is exceptionally easy to install above and below water level. On site assembly is not required; therefore keeping labour costs to a minimum.
IECS designs and manufactures a wide range of concrete mattresses to give your pipeline the best possible protection on land or under water.
Free Lunch & Learn Seminar
Interested in hosting a lunch and learn seminar with IECS? Let our team of experts share the best in innovation and custom precast infrastructure solutions.